After the Revolution, the building was state-owned and became first a grain store and then went on to become an arsenal in the 19th century.
Dating back to 1926 it was purchased by Collioure winemakers and has been the location of a winery that still operates today. Surrounding the building is 130 hectares that are farmed to make AOC Collioure wine and also fortified wines. On the hills behind the convent, the vineyards are planted on terraces and they are kept upright on the steep slopes by stonewalls. As a result of the difficult terrain, the vineyards are all manually farmed. They currently make AOC quality wine by the local “Cooperative de la Dominican. Tours that explain the history and winemaking process are available from April through September and of course wine is offered for sampling and purchase.
Inside the old cloisters that have been newly renovated, there is a new restaurant called Le Jardin de Collioure click here for the website that has very good reviews and apparently an excellent atmosphere with French jazz singers on Fridays. Offering both a dining room and garden patio we will be checking out this option for dinner or tapas the next time we are in town.
This is another beautiful example of how a historical building has been transformed into a local business and is also still a wonderful place to visit.