One of our sightseeing adventures this time was to the Abbay de St Michel de Cuxa. First some history - the original Benedictine Abbey was founded in 840. After a series of misfortunate events, including flooding and a changing of hands that ultimately destroyed the abbey, the structure that is currently there was created in 940 and the main alter was consecrated in 974. The age of the abbey is significant since it is the largest preserved pre-Romanesque church in France.
Since the buildings were in literal pieces, some of the sculptures were acquired by George Grey Bernard, an American art collector who created a “clositers” exhibit in New York City in 1907. The centerpiece of the museum is a cloister built from the St Michel de Cuxa church.